Random Acts of Kindness- Ideas

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Guest Blogger: Susan Hill talks library cards.....

Behold the Power of a Library Card.

Do you have a library card? They're free, but the benefits are priceless. You can check out books, magazines, movies, CDs, and more. Libraries have event calendars that are filled with fabulous events for all ages...and most events are free! At my local library we offer: chess club, knitting club, community play space, yoga, history talks, art exhibits, movies, crafts, story times...and the list goes on. We also provide free access to laptop computers with wi-fi...all you need to do is show your library card.

I am in a book club, and we select a new book each month. I also reserve a copy of our selection from my library. If my library does not carry the title, I can request the book from another library within our library system via inter-library loan. The book is delivered to my library within a few days...all for free with my library card. Fellow book club members purchase their books each month. The average price of a trade paperback (fiction) is approximately $16.00. I am saving close to $200 each year on book club books just by using my library card.

These are just some examples of what libraries offer to their patrons. Visit your local library today to see what it can offer you. All you need is a free library card!


Susan Hill is the President of the Gardiner, New York Library Board of Trustees.


Use the link below to locate your local library
www.publiclibraries.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment